Pakistani Bloggers

The Best of Pakistani Blogging

True colours of a fashion designer

www.pakpositive.com In today's fast moving economy, all individuals seem to be subjugated to an overzealous game theory. When the end result is only the bank balance, clearly the rules of the game do not matter and it becomes the purest display of "survival of the fittest".

For many, this is the inspiration or the epitome of success. The core definition of success translates directly into financial prowess. I agree everyone is entitled to their own measure of success and importance. However while on the journey to success, what are we willingly to lose? Do we let tunnel vision of success dilute some of the most important aspects to a long term successful relationship whether personal or professional?

Are we on the verge of rendering work ethics and responsibilities obsolete? What constitutes a business - client relationship now? Is it all a mechanical supermarket checkout process now? When did it stop being personal? When did it stop being about getting the special attention and value for your money? Most importantly when did it stop being about "being nice".

They say that it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice. I couldn't agree with this more. However I have been appalled by some recent personal experiences dealing with so called professionals who we had proudly called our nations rising stars. Someone who boasts that her name is one to be reckoned with. A showcase of innovation and creativity to its best. Someone who carries out her social responsibility by appearing in the latest "Let's Vote campaign" video making waves on facebook these days.

However as she sits in her designing studio behind a girl's college in Main Gulberg, she seems to have let fame fog her vision hence clouding her game strategies. In her single quest to building a sound bank balance, she seems to have voluntarily compromised on the essentials of a good working business relationship. It shows in her entire demeanour of dealing with clients who come in with high hopes and a hard earned budget.

Declining to meet potential clients till they formally place orders is just the beginning. The delayed delivery dates and the ill fittings are still excusable. However it is the lack of honestly and ethics which expose her true intentions and commitment to a long term working relationship. Starting out with false promises and misrepresentation of basic things such as fabric, colour and design, she eventually delivers a product which is a far cry from what was agreed upon.

Often, as it was in my case, the client has no option but to walk away with the product. Only to have the colours wash out. If we do decide to go back to this designer, the animosity is equivalent to the battle of Waterloo. Unfortunately I witnessed this to the extent of pure abuse. This may seem trivial to most people especially to the great secret guild of contemporary designers of Lahore.

However I think this particular designer aka as Zara Shahjehan, is losing out. Business is a tough game to play. Sometimes it can seem like getting ahead requires putting your interests above those of others. But she is robbing her clients of the value they have entrusted her with. By agreeing to part with a considerable amount of their hard earned money, they expect the professional not just to deliver as per promised but to also leave an impression of warmth and care.

Quite rightly I was cheated out of my money by being delivered a product which fell short of expectations considerably. However what made it worst was not that the fabric was entirely different or that the colour washed out. It was her attitude or lack of care or even acknowledgement of the fact that she was at fault. It was being turned away and having your phones calls answered with a mere "I don't give a flying !@#$," that showed the true colours and intentions of this young designer.

In the end, it is her loss. Lost in her tunnel vision, she is forgetting a very important dimension of business prowess. A positive, friendly disposition can be a valuable asset. By compromising on ethics and values of a true entrepreneur, she is aiming for a short termed victory.

My intention of sharing this experience was merely to highlight a more important aspect to success that of being nice and honest in your quest to professionalism. Not only will it build better relationships, it will guarantee a better return as your reputation is carried forward for a true long term successful career.

My personal note to the aforementioned designer - Zara Shahjehan, "It's not true that nice guys finish last. Nice guys are winners before the game even starts." Zara Shahjehan fashion www.pakpositive.com