Pakistani Bloggers

The Best of Pakistani Blogging

Intra Party Elections - Recipe for Disaster?

www.pakpositive.com

Do you think PTI should go for intra party elections? Is it not a suicide bomb after

being a witness to the damage it caused to the party in 2013 elections & continues to do so without any negligence I reckon?

Notwithstanding the fact that the massive support the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf mobilized was its reform based manifesto & challenging the status quo and the expression that remains the linchpin for the party is : there is no quick fix for this 68 years old ailing patient, we will have to build a Naya Pakistan, a country reflecting democracy & meritocracy in its finest manifestation across board. Wow sounds euphoric & Dreamy, doesn\'t it? but lo and behold, dreams are easy to weave but demand us to take agonizing intense steps to be realized.

If I may have the honor to draw attention of our intelligentsia & PTI critics, I will request them to reconcile with the fact that Imran khan has created a political party & has not set up an industry creating refined politicos from where he can pick & choose.

History only glorifies that the inspirational leaders who turned around the fate of their nations achieved so by essentially influencing the thought process of their people with their vision & thus transforming the crowds into a nation that had unanimous goals & unanimous dreams. They did not \"replace\" the disillusioned people with angels. When we fantasize about the word \"tabdeeli\", it means we need to change ourselves as well as our surroundings continuously & progressively & as they say change is a process, it\'s not accomplished overnight but the process will be carried out by none other than this contemporary community which comprises largely of the uneducated lot, speaking volumes about the poor governance .

I have often heard anchors & the intellectuals criticizing with a tinge of tongue-in-cheek sarcasm that if these conventional politicians are the flag-bearers of the much awaited \"change\" then there is no hope! Then comes the segment that says \" we are thoroughly disappointed with Khan, We had trusted him to be the catalyst inducing a revolution, but look at what he is doing, how can he have the conventional corrupt politicians and change the country \" well there\'s a basic paradox in this statement & it makes me wonder if one cannot trust khan to ensure that his party leadership will abide by its manifesto, how can one possibly claim to be having faith in him for changing the entire nation?

When we expect PTI to evolve into an institution by having intra party elections, we are indirectly pushing the party to be actually engaging in an in-house war & concluding it with visible scars of the battle & then half of the resources will be directed towards their camouflage when it must actually focus entirely on the extremely crucial battle i.e. the general elections 2018.

But what will it possibly gain out of the intra party elections? Votes? Popularity ? Recognition in the masses ? Well I am sorry to say the answer is negative. Let me reproduce the simplest & defining fact of Pakistan\'s political panorama here for everyone\'s ease & that is: as of December 2015, the most popular political party with the largest vote bank is the PML-N which is far from being an institution , which is anything but a democratic political party & this is another established & undisputed fact.

Sadly, we cannot refute the harsh reality glaring in our faces that Pakistan is not a mature democracy. It is a flawed and rotten democratic system full of loopholes. I am too small an entity to establish that PTI\'s leadership does not understand the dynamics of Pakistan\'s grass root politics but I will certainly take this chance to make an appeal to them to actually deal with it in the same way. If the party intends to convince a native villager/uneducated voter as to why he should stamp on the bat, it will have to deploy energies in learning how to converse with him in his language which has absolutely got nothing to do with intra party elections. I firmly believe that pti must ensure that all its party workers & prospective candidates are engaged in building a relationship with the common man in every hook & corner of the country instead of engaging them in bribes & campaigning & competing with one another in the name of Intra-party elections.

The only master-stroke to change this political canvas for the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaaf, in my humble opinion, is : Be like those who are powerful simply to come into power, employ the same power then to educate the masses to break away from this vicious cycle & enlighten them about how democracies actually function & deliver for the prosperity of a common man and then work on institutionalizing the party in parallel so the masses can distinguish and appreciate. While you resort to conventional power politics, you must learn to ignore those teaching you moralities of democracy because there cannot be a bigger eye opener than the GE 2013 that these intellectuals are a minority and their votes can never win you power & the desperation of power is critical because we cannot even dream to build a Naya Pakistan without exercising it! There\'s absolutely no ambiguity in my mind that you cannot clear the mess without getting your hands messy !

PTI www.pakpositive.com