Pakistani Bloggers

The Best of Pakistani Blogging

Chronic Cabin Fever

www.pakpositive.com Ever heard of cabin fever? The term 'cabin fever' is most often associated with being indoors during long periods of severe winter weather.

It isn't really an illness or disease, but a psychological state resulting from a lack of environmental stimulation or social and physical isolation for an extended period of time; with nothing to do.

Although cabin fever is often termed winter blues, it could occur at any time of the year, if you're house bound (constantly staying indoors). It may also be experienced during monsoon seasons or during a particularly hot spell, when going outdoors is discouraged.

I think I suffer from what I call 'chronic cabin fever' and it doesn't really have much to do with the weather. As far back as I can remember I had this thing about wanting to get out of the house.

I used to spend several hours (with intervals) just strolling outside in my childhood home garden.

And if I didn't get my 'time in the sun' on any day, I just felt irritated, sluggish and restless. The actual symptoms of cabin fever involve feelings of irritability, irrational frustration with everyday objects, sadness or depression, boredom, difficulty concentrating, sleep disturbances (sleep loss, sleeping in excess, or difficulty waking up), restlessness, reduced productivity, distrusting the people in proximity, and a strong urge to go out into the open (The more symptoms you experience the more intense your cabin fever).

Most descriptions of cabin fever will state that there is an urge to go out in the 'less miserable' weather. But I craved going out in the miserable weather, heavy rains, sand storms, blazing sun, whatever.

There was especially a kind of adventurous romance in going out in bad weather. It was invigorating. As a child I felt as though I was especially strong in these instances, like I was capable of battling the elements.

Really the only thing I didn't like about those strong winds and heavy rains was that when my mother found me out, that I was outside, I would get yelled at, and ordered to come back in.

So what do you do if you HAVE to stay in and you know you have cabin fever?

Passive stimulation from television, video games, etc may help pass the time, but the feelings tend to return once this 'passive activity' is over. Usually, those especially susceptible to cabin fever are stay-at-home moms, and children with over-protective mothers who insist their children stay in because of all sorts of reasons.

So what to do if you think you have cabin fever? It depends on how serious it is, and whether it is normal cabin fever (unlike mine); whether it occurs during the winter days, or at other times of the year.

If your cabin fever is winter-related then, light therapy is most often recommended. If it is quite serious then professional help is probably the best way to go.

But if it is not so serious then there really is only one solution: get out of your house!

If your cabin fever is due to being home bound irrespective of the weather, then try to make a point of going out for a morning or evening walk, everyday; or volunteer to do chores that require you to get outdoors, into the natural light, and fresh air.

Don't stay in. boredom winter blues
23 Dec 2010 | 1481 Annie says: Location: Karachi  Posts: 1
As the cold weather descends on us in chilly waves we are all having a bit of wardrobe crisis everyday trying to decide what is the coolest ( no pun intended) way to keep warm! Normally deep, dark colours and woolly woven items are recommended. However in this post I am here to tell you of ways that you can stand OUT in the sea of all those greys and blacks!
Go Pastel
Pretty pastels like powder blue, peach, pink and lavenders are the perfect cheerful colours that can make you stand out and act as an instant mood lifter!
Go for a Shawl Collared Sweater
These ultra feminine cosy sweaters are a MUST have for this season! The best thing about them is that they are made of this light weight material that adds to the style without the bulk. Wear them in bright blues or baby pinks ..this versatile style is made for everyone!
Belt It Well
The belt trend has been around for awhile and it doesn't look like its going anywhere any time soon! I would recommend you to be careful with your choice of belt keeping your shape in mind. For the skinny, petite girls out there a wider belt would look great and for those roundish figures a thinner, sleeker belt is recommended.
Go Victorian!
The noticeable trend for cloaks and capes came around the Victorian era. It has been in and out since then but this year its back for sure! Call it capes or ponchos..the end result is uber chic.
Multiple layers and multiple chains
No look is complete without proper accessories. As you add on the layers make sure you don't forget to pack some chains around your neck. Be it pearls, stones, simple silver or gold chains add up the layers in all lengths and sizes to completer the look.
Happy Winters to all
www.pakpositive.com